The Clemency Report is dedicated to making executive clemency function at the federal and 50 state level.
Published by former USA TODAY reporter Dennis Cauchon, The Clemency Report seeks to:
- Identify and prioritize inmates deserving of clemency consideration.
- Tell stories from families’ perspective.
- Provide facts, news and analysis on justice issues.
- Establish standards — such as at least one clemency per 1,000 inmates each year — to measure whether clemency is functioning as the nation’s founders intended.
- Hold elected chief executives accountable for competently managing their clemency duties.
In short, The Clemency Report considers clemency a moral policy issue — the same as K-12 education, highways or environmental safeguards — not a legal issue. We may disagree about how wide a highway should be, but everyone knows some roads are needed. Doing nothing is not an option.
That’s what we’re about.
Contact us here.